Christmastime in Helsinki
Christmas lights, finds and adventures – at Christmas, versatile Helsinki has plenty to choose from. Get the best tips and head for a Christmas holiday!
Christmas takes over Helsinki
Events creating a Christmas atmosphere
- Traditional Christmas lights are lit on Aleksanterinkatu at the Christmas Street Opening at the end of November. The Christmas Parade travels through the city and Santa Claus brings greetings from Korvatunturi.
- Saint Lucia is crowned in December at Helsinki Cathedral. In addition to Saint Lucia, the procession of light travelling along Aleksanterinkatu features elves, horses and museum cars.
- Hear beautiful Christmas songs in churches around Helsinki starting from November.
Flavors and presents from the Christmas Market
- The Helsinki Christmas Market fills the Senate Square with Christmas treats, presents and restaurants.
- The Three Smiths square and Kaivopiha will host the Christmas World. In addition to Christmas products and treats, you can see Santa Claus and fairytale characters.
- Vanha Christmas Market brings Finnish handicraft vendors, service providers and designers to the Old Student House.
- Shop also for designer goods, art and handicrafts at the Ornamo Design Christmas Sale at the Cable Factory.
Christmas programme for children
In the winter and at Christmas, Helsinki offers many activities, especially for the young ones in the family. Read our best tips for events for families in Helsinki.