Hotels close to the northern lights
Scandic has hotels in very many areas in northern Sweden, Norway and Finland, from where you have a great opportunity to experience the northern lights. Here is a selection of the best places.
Northern lights in Ruka Kuusamo
Did you know?
- The northern lights are caused by electrons and protons from the sun colliding with gas particles in the earth's atmosphere.
- The northern lights are formed in the polar regions because the particles are drawn to the poles by the earth's magnetic field.
- The best time to see the northern lights is on a cloudless night between October and March.
- The most common colour of the northern lights is light green.
- The northern lights usually occur at an altitude of about 100 km.