Classic rice porridge with a cinnamon stick
Porridge has thousands of variations. But at Christmas, you shouldn’t mess with traditions. This is a classic Christmas porridge favoured by Santa for the past 100 years.
Ingredients (6 portions)
- 250 g round grain rice
- 500 ml water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 800 ml milk
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp sugar if preferred
Prepare as follows:
- Mix rice, water, butter and salt in a large, thick-bottomed pot. Simmer on a low heat for roughly 10 minutes.
- Add milk and cinnamon stick. Simmer the porridge on a very low heat for 30-40 minutes.
- If the porridge thickens too much, add more milk. Add sugar to taste.
- Serve with milk and cinnamon.
There are endless variations of porridge, with different grains, new combinations and delicious toppings.