Christmastime in Turku
Turku has been a "Cristmas city" for hundreds of years. Christnas lovers should head to Turku this year as well!
Turku christmas city
Christmas events in Turku
- The Christmas-themed Joulun polku (Christmas Path) is packed with activities from the beginning of December until Christmas. Beautiful lights and window displays, as well as the Magical Christmas Path opening on 1 December, which culminates in switching on the Christams lights. Also make a note of Children's Day on 8 December - city will be full of activities for the whole family.
- The Elf run is held on 15 December. You can take part in a charity event that supports Christmas meals for the disadvantaged.
- At noon on Christmas Eve, all of Finland comes to a standstill as the Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in Vanha Suurtori. This tradition has been maintained since the 14th Centry.
Turku Christmas markets
- The inviting Christmas Market in the Market Square consists of four weeks of different themes. The first theme is Food and Beverage, when the market is packed with an array of flavours. During the Traditional Christmas theme week, there are stalls selling handicrafts, customary Christmas treats and Christmas trees, as well as carol singing for all. During the children's Christmas Week, Santa Claus will visit, among other activities. Modern Christmas brings together Christmas traditions from around the world and brings inspiration to create new ones.
- The Christmas Market in Vanha Suurtori is held during the four weekends in the run-up to Christmas. Vendors attend from all around Finland and the world, brining handicrafts, art and Christmas treats. The market offers a large variety of events and you can also meet Santa Claus.
- The biggest Christmas sale in Finland is held in the Turku Fair Centre. There are hundreds of stalls and the goods on offers include toys and baked goods.