City weekend – 10 hotel suggestions
Spring and brighter days are upon us and this is a perfect time to visit Sweden. See our top 10 suggestions for hotels and cities.
Weekend away in Sweden
Staycationers or first time visitors? Here are our 10 best suggestions for a weekend in Sweden.
Reason to go: Our capital city is changing rapidly and has a neverending flow of new restaurants offering flavors from all corners of the world. High-end shopping, music and theatre, art exhibitions and more.
- We have 14 hotels in central Stockholm. Popular hotels in this area: Haymarket by Scandic, Scandic Continental and Downtown Camper by Scandic
Reason to go: Gothenburg is like no other city in Sweden. The "Gothenburgers" would certainly agree. The small town feeling and laid-back atmosphere yet with world-class restaurants and breweries. The largest theme park in the country is the popular Liseberg. For those of you who love the outdoor season the the rocky shoreline and archipelago is a must.
- We have 5 hotels in central Gothenburg. Popular hotels in this area Scandic Opalen, cosy Scandic No 25 or trendy Scandic Rubinen.
Reason to go: Malmo has become a cultural melting pot with a huge creative scene and exciting cuisine. Stay in an easily accessible city center with many characteristics from the big city.
- We have 5 hotels in central Malmo. Stay for example at the landmark Scandic Triangeln, the turn of the century Scandic Kramer or at the modern Scandic S:t Jorgen.
Reason to go: Kiruna, located in the north of Sweden, offers exciting activities during both the summer and winter seasons. The world-famous Icehotel in Jukkasjarvi is located just 18 kilometres from our hotel in Kiruna, Scandic Ferrum, or mighty Kebnekaise – Sweden's highest mountain. The area around Kiruna offers a stunning landscape of mountains and crystal clear lakes.
- We have 1 hotel in Kiruna, Scandic Ferrum, where you stay in the middle of unspoiled wilderness and have a good chance to see the northern lights when the weather conditions are right.
Reason to go: Experience the history of one of Sweden’s oldest university towns, stroll alongside the Fyris river, visit Uppsala cathedral, the castle and the Linnaeus' museum and the garden as it would have looked during Linnaeus’ lifetime. Or how about a visit to the Uppsala Art Museum housed in Uppsala Castle and then pay a visit to Landings Konditori, a classic café from 1887.
- Stay centrally at Scandic Uplandia
Reason to go: Probably the most charming of all the small towns in Sweden. With its medieval wall and buildings, a cosy atmosphere envelopes the entire town. Enjoy a walk along the beach front, shop in the quaint little shops and, if you brought your car, drive out to the countryside and experience some of Gotland’s beautiful natural scenery.
- Enjoy a comfortable stay at Scandic Visby, with its heated outdoor jacuzzi.
Reason to go: The city is beautifully located and surrounded by water and offers beaches, hiking and cycling paths and possbilities to canoeing. The city center Kvarnholmen is a little island in itself filled with shopping and restaurants. Visit Kalmar Castle and the Old town. There is a bridge in Kalmar that leads over to the beautiful island of Oland.
- Stay at Scandic Kalmar Vast a bit outside the city of Kalmar, 5 minutes away from the airport and train station.
Reason to go: Halmstad is located on the west coast where you can enjoy beaches and no fewer than 55 nature reserves. Halmstad has also a rich art heritage where the Halmstad Group blossomed in the early part of the 20th century. Thanks to the city's location you'll be offered a selection of prime local ingredients.
- Stay conveniently in the city center at Scandic Hallandia by the river Nissan and enjoy the closeness to what the city has to offer.
Reason to go: The city's location near the Norwegian border and along the Swedish west coast, offers great nature experiences and closeness to e.g the Koster Islands. Our hotel in Stromstad is a historical landmark where you can enjoy fresh sea food in the hotel restaurant.
- Stay at Scandic Laholmen located close by all that Stromstad has to offer – nature, sailing, shopping and delicious food.
Reason to go: There's always something going on in Ostersund, no matter when you're visiting. Entertainment, sports events and kids' activities. The adventure house of Boda Borg will keep the entire family busy together.
- Stay at Scandic Östersund Syd just a few minutes south of central Ostersund and close to Lake Storsjon.